King Pigeon Pose
King Pigeon Pose or Raja Kapotasana is an advanced level pose.
King Pigeon Pose Sanskrit name is Raja Kapotasana.
Raja = King, Kapot = Pigeon, Asana = Pose.
How to Perform King Pigeon Pose
1. Starting from Downward Facing Dog or Table Top. Gaze forward slowly and mindfully slide the right leg forward between both hands bringing in the right foot close to the left side of the body. Slide the left leg back lowing your hips to the ground.
2. Inhaling deeply push your palms or fingertips into the earth to lengthen through your spine, neck and head (Crown Charka).
3. Exhale slowly and let your hips stink to the earth then roll your shoulders down and back while leaning forward with your chest creating that space for the lungs so you can ease yourself into this position.
4. Take your time to ease yourself into this position with every exhale deepen the pose to feel more grounded. Hold in this position for 3-6 breaths or whatever feels most comfortable for you. No stress or strain. You are now in Pigeon Pose.
5. Bend the left knee.
6. Inhale take a hold of the left toes with the left hand while meeting the right hand to hold the left toes while letting both elbows point to the celling. Exhale and allow the head to drop back onto the foot or close to the foot. Hold for 3-6 breaths in King Pigeon Pose.
7. To release exhale while releasing the right hand towards the ground then the left foot down towards the ground mindfully and slowly. Placing the left hand back to the earth and into Pigeon Pose.
8. Use your hands to support your weight, inhaling push away from the earth while taking the right leg straight back into Downward Dog.
9. Peddle out the feet then repeat on the left side.
- Gives you a full body stretch
- Opens up the chest and heart centre which will activate your thymus glands
- Brings focus
- Helps balance and coordination
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves the digestive system
- Improves your posture
- Strengthens the back muscles, joints and stimulates abdominal organs
See more health benefits at eatlivegreen.